Thursday, December 29, 2016

Rain Shadow

Bethany knows that she is special.

She doesn't learn things as easily as her classmates do and that sometimes makes them mean to her. They call her names -- including the really "bad" name. Even her mom and her sister Mira say unkind things at times. But Bethany has friends like her neighbour Mrs. Goldsborough as well as happy times with Daddy when he gets home from work. And now, Mira has promised to protect her from the bullies when the new school year begins.

Then tragedy strikes, tearing Bethany's world apart in way she could never have imagined, and she starts to wonder if there will ever be a place that feels like home again.
* * * * *
I have chosen to return to the fictitious setting of Junction, Manitoba (setting for The Glory Wind) in this story.
* * * * *  
Please support independent bookstores, whenever possible. 

  Select Awards and Reviews for Rain Shadow: 


Shortlisted for the Canadian Library Association 2015 Book of the Year for Children.

Silver Birch Fiction Honour title Award 2016.

Shortlisted for the 2016 Ann Connor Brimer Award. 

Shortlisted for the 2016 Diamond Willow Award. 

Shortlisted for the 2017 Rocky Mountain Book Award 


Rain Shadow has been reviewed by:





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Valerie

I just wanted to say you're my favorite author and you inspire so much in every way possible. I love your mystery books they are my favorite, I bet you won't even see this comment but I just wanted to tell you your mystery books are amazing and keep writing books. I bet you won't see this but I just wanted to say you are an amazing author :)

-A fan

Anonymous said...

Hello Valerie,
I was just wondering if you will be making a series for Rain Shadow? because I enjoyed reading Rain Shadow.


-A fan

pheonix said...

Hello
My name is Emma lloyd.
I am 11 years old and i absolutely loved your book.i was looking forward to seeing you at silver birch but sadly you could not come.i bought your book and i talk about it so much that now my mom wants to read it.anyway i just wanted to say hello and let you know how much i loved your book rain shadow.

Your fan
Emma

Valerie Sherrard said...

Thank you for your lovely note, Emma! I was sorry I could not be at the Silver Birch ceremony too - it's always wonderful to meet readers. :) Valerie